16. Why must he be a true and righteous man?
Because the justice of God requires1 that the same human nature which has sinned should make satisfaction for sin; but one who is himself a sinner cannot satisfy for others2.
- But the free gift is not like the offense. For if by the one manâ€™s offense many died, much more the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abounded to many. Rom. 5:15.
- He is despised and rejected by men, A Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief. And we hid, as it were, our faces from Him; He was despised, and we did not esteem Him. Surely He has borne our griefs And carried our sorrows; Yet we esteemed Him stricken, Smitten by God, and afflicted. But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes we are healed. Isa. 53:3-5.
17. Why must he also be true God?
That by the power of His Godhead He might bear in His manhood the burden of God's wrath1, and so obtain for2 and restore to us righteousness and life3.
- He was taken from prison and from judgment, And who will declare His generation? For He was cut off from the land of the living; For the transgressions of My people He was stricken. Isa. 53:8.
Whom God raised up, having loosed the pains of death, because it was not possible that He should be held by it. Acts 2:24.
- For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16.
Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood. Acts 20:28.
- The life was manifested, and we have seen, and bear witness, and declare to you that eternal life which was with the Father and was manifested to us. 1 John 1:2.
18. But who now is that Mediator, who in one person is true God and also a true and righteous man?
Our Lord Jesus Christ1, who is freely given unto us for complete redemption and righteousness2.
- â€œBehold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,â€ which is translated, â€œGod with us.â€ Matt. 1:23.
And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifested in the flesh, Justified in the Spirit, Seen by angels, Preached among the Gentiles, Believed on in the world, Received up in glory. 1 Tim. 3:16.
For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. Luke 2:11.
- But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from Godâ€”and righteousness and sanctification and redemption. I Cor. 1:30.
* "Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.â€ Acts 4:12.
19. From where do you know this?
From the Holy Gospel, which God Himself first revealed in Paradise1, afterwards proclaimed by the holy patriarchs2 and prophets, and foreshadowed by the sacrifices and other ceremonies of the law3, and finally fulfilled by His well-beloved Son4.
- "And I will put enmity Between you and the woman, And between your seed and her Seed; He shall bruise your head, And you shall bruise His heel.â€ Gen. 3:15.
- "In your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed, because you have obeyed My voice.â€ Gen. 22:18.
The scepter shall not depart from Judah, Nor a lawgiver from between his feet, Until Shiloh comes; And to Him shall be the obedience of the people. Binding his donkey to the vine, And his donkeyâ€™s colt to the choice vine, He washed his garments in wine, And his clothes in the blood of grapes. Gen. 49:10,11.
Which He promised before through His prophets in the Holy Scriptures. Rom. 1:2.
God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets. Heb. 1:1.
For Moses truly said to the fathers, â€˜The LORD your God will raise up for you a Prophet like me from your brethren. Him you shall hear in all things, whatever He says to you. And it shall be that every soul who will not hear that Prophet shall be utterly destroyed from among the people.â€™ Yes, and all the prophets, from Samuel and those who follow, as many as have spoken, have also foretold these days. Acts 3:22-24.
"To Him all the prophets witness that, through His name, whoever believes in Him will receive remission of sins.â€ Acts 10:43.
- For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me; for he wrote about Me. John 5:46.
Then I said, â€˜Behold, I have comeâ€”In the volume of the book it is written of Meâ€”To do Your will, O God.â€™ Heb. 10:7.
- For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes. Rom. 10:4.
But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons. Gal. 4:4,5.
* For the law, having a shadow of the good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with these same sacrifices, which they offer continually year by year, make those who approach perfect. Heb. 10:1.