24. How are these articles divided?
Into three parts: the first is of God the Father and our creation the second, of God the Son and our redemption, the third, of God the Holy Ghost and our sanctification1.
- Eelect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace to you and peace be multiplied. 1 Pet. 1:2 .
* For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one. 1 John 5:7 .
25. Since there is but one Divine Being1, why do you speak of three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Ghost?
Because God has so revealed Himself in His Word2, that these three distinct persons are the one, true, eternal God.
- â€œHear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one!" Deut. 6:4 .
- â€œThe Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon Me, Because the LORD has anointed Me To preach good tidings to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives, And the opening of the prison to those who are bound. Isa. 61:1 .
The LORD said to my Lord, â€œSit at My right hand, Till I make Your enemies Your footstool.â€ Ps. 110:1.
When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon Him. And suddenly a voice came from heaven, saying, â€œThis is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.â€ Matt. 3:16,17 .
Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Matt. 28:19 .
For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one. 1 John 5:7 .
* The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all Amen'