26. What do you believe when you say: "I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth"?
That the eternal Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who of nothing made heaven and earth with all that in them is1, who likewise upholds, and governs the same by His eternal counsel and providence2, is for the sake of Christ, His Son, my God and my Father3, in whom I so trust as to have no doubt that He will provide me with all things necessary for body and soul4; and further, that whatever evil He sends upon me in this troubled life, He will turn to my good5; for He is able to do it, being Almighty God6, and willing also, being a faithful Father7.
- Then God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good. So the evening and the morning were the sixth day. Gen. 1:31 .
By the word of the LORD the heavens were made, And all the host of them by the breath of His mouth. Ps. 33:6.
* For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. Col. 1:16 .
* By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible. Heb. 11:3 .
- Who cover Yourself with light as with a garment, Who stretch out the heavens like a curtain. He lays the beams of His upper chambers in the waters, Who makes the clouds His chariot, Who walks on the wings of the wind, Who makes His angels spirits, His ministers a flame of fire. You who laid the foundations of the earth, So that it should not be moved forever, Ps. 104:2-5.
But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Matt. 10:30 .
Who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high. Heb. 1:3 .
But our God is in heaven; He does whatever He pleases. Ps. 115:3.
* God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands. Nor is He worshiped with menâ€™s hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives to all life, breath, and all things. Acts 17:24,25 .
- But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name. John 1:12 .
For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, â€œAbba, Father.â€ Rom. 8:15 .
To redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons. And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, â€œAbba, Father!â€ Therefore you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ. Gal. 4:5-7 .
Having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will. Eph. 1:5 .
* For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man. Eph. 3:14-16 .
* â€œTherefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him." Matt. 6:8 .
- Cast your burden on the LORD, And He shall sustain you; He shall never permit the righteous to be moved. Ps. 55:22.
Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Matt. 6:25,26 . (See also Luke 12:22-24 ).
Lord, You have been our dwelling place[a] in all generations. Before the mountains were brought forth, Or ever You had formed the earth and the world, Even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God. Ps. 90:1,2.
- And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. Rom. 8:28 .
* So that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; for in Him we live and move and have our being, as also some of your own poets have said, â€˜For we are also His offspring.â€™ Acts 17:27,28 .
- For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. Rom. 10:12 .
- Or what man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him! Matt. 7:9-11 .
* God is not a man, that He should lie, Nor a son of man, that He should repent. Has He said, and will He not do? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good? Num. 23:19 .