27. What do you understand by the providence of God?
The almighty, everywhere-present power of God1, whereby, as it were by His hand, He still upholds heaven and earth with all creatures2, and so governs them that herbs and grass, rain and drought, fruitful and barren years, meat and drink3, health and sickness4, riches and poverty5, indeed, all things come not by chance, but by His fatherly hand.
- Nor is He worshiped with menâ€™s hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives to all life, breath, and all things. And He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings. Acts 17:25,26 .
- Who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, Heb. 1:3 .
- They do not say in their heart, â€œLet us now fear the LORD our God, Who gives rain, both the former and the latter, in its season. He reserves for us the appointed weeks of the harvest.â€ Jer. 5:24 .
* Nevertheless He did not leave Himself without witness, in that He did good, gave us rain from heaven and fruitful seasons, filling our hearts with food and gladness. Acts 14:17 .
- Jesus answered, â€œNeither this man nor his parents sinned, but that the works of God should be revealed in him." John 9:3 .
- The rich and the poor have this in common, The LORD is the maker of them all. Prov. 22:2 .
* The LORD has established His throne in heaven, And His kingdom rules over all. Ps. 103:19.
* And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now hope does not disappoint. Rom. 5:3-5 a.
28. What does it profit us to know that God created, and by His providence upholds, all things?
That we may be patient in adversity1 thankful in prosperity2, and for what is future have good confidence in our faithful God and Father, that no creature shall separate us from His love3, since all creatures are so in His hand, that without His will they cannot so much as move4.
- And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance. Rom. 5:3 .
Knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. James 1:3 .
And he said: â€œNaked I came from my motherâ€™s womb, And naked shall I return there. The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; Blessed be the name of the LORD.â€ Job 1:21 .
- When you have eaten and are full, then you shall bless the LORD your God for the good land which He has given you. Deut. 8:10 .
In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 1 Thess. 5:18.
- Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? ... For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Rom. 8:35,38 ,39.
- And the LORD said to Satan, â€œBehold, all that he has is in your power; only do not lay a hand on his person.â€ So Satan went out from the presence of the LORD. Job 1:12
Nor is He worshiped with menâ€™s hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives to all life, breath, and all things. And He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings, so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; for in Him we live and move and have our being, as also some of your own poets have said, â€˜For we are also His offspring.â€™ Acts 17:25-28 .
The kingâ€™s heart is in the hand of the LORD, Like the rivers of water; He turns it wherever He wishes. Prov. 21:1 .
* I have become as a wonder to many, But You are my strong refuge. Ps. 71:7.
* Who delivered us from so great a death, and does[a] deliver us; in whom we trust that He will still deliver us. 2 Cor. 1:10 .