122. What is the first petition?
"Hallowed be Thy name"; that is, grant us, first, rightly to know Thee1, and to hallow, magnify, and praise Thee in all Thy works, in which Thy power, goodness, justice, mercy, and truth shine forth2; and further, that we so order our whole life, our thoughts, words, and deeds, that Thy name may not be blasphemed, but honored and praised on our account3.
- And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. John 17:3.
Jesus answered and said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven." Matt. 16:17.
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. James 1:5.
Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path. Ps. 119:105.
- Righteous are You, O LORD, And upright are Your judgments. Ps. 119:137.
Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out! "For who has known the mind of the LORD? Or who has become His counselor?" "Or who has first given to Him And it shall be repaid to him?" For of Him and through Him and to Him are all things, to whom be glory forever. Amen. Rom. 11:33-36.
- Let my mouth be filled with Your praise And with Your glory all the day. Ps. 71:8.
* Know that the LORD, He is God; It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves; We are His people and the sheep of His pasture. Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, And into His courts with praise. Be thankful to Him, and bless His name. Ps. 100:3,4.
* It is good to give thanks to the LORD, And to sing praises to Your name, O Most High; To declare Your lovingkindness in the morning, And Your faithfulness every night. Ps. 92:1,2.
* Do not cease to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers: that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him. Eph. 1:16,17.
* I will go in the strength of the Lord GOD; I will make mention of Your righteousness, of Yours only. Ps. 71:16.