3. From where do you know your misery?
From the Law of God1.
- Therefore by the deeds of the law no flesh will be justified in His sight, for by the law is the knowledge of sin. Rom. 3:20
What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, "You shall not covet." Rom. 7:7 .
4. What does the Law of God require of us?
Christ teaches us in sum, Matthew 22 : Thou shalt love the Lord, thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength. This is the first and great commandment; and the second is like unto it: Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets1.
- So he answered and said, "'You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind,' and 'your neighbor as yourself.'" Luke 10:27 .
* You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. Deut. 6:5 .
* For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." Gal. 5:14 .
5. Can you keep all this perfectly?
No1, for I am by nature prone to hate God and my neighbor2.
- As it is written: " There is none righteous, no, not one; There is none who understands; There is none who seeks after God. They have all turned aside; They have together become unprofitable; There is none who does good, no, not one." For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Rom. 3:10-12,23 .
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us. 1 John 1:8,10 .
- Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. Rom. 8:7 .
Among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others. Eph. 2:3 .