9. Does not God, then, do injustice to man by requiring of him in His Law that which he cannot perform?
No, for God so made man that he could perform it1 but man, through the instigation of the devil, by willful disobedience deprived himself and all his descendants of this power2.
10. Will God allow such disobedience and apostasy to go unpunished?
Certainly not1, but He is terribly displeased with our inborn as well as our actual sins and will punish them in just judgment in time and eternity, as He has declared; "Cursed is everyone that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them2."
- And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment. Heb. 9:27 .
- â€˜Cursed is the one who does not confirm all the words of this law by observing them.â€™ â€œAnd all the people shall say, â€˜Amen!â€™â€ Deut. 27:26 .
For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, â€œCursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them.â€ Gal. 3:10 .
* For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness. Rom. 1:18 .
* â€œThen He will also say to those on the left hand, â€˜Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels.'" Matt. 25:41 .
11. But is not God also merciful?
God is indeed merciful1, but He is likewise just2; His justice therefore requires that sin which is committed against the most high majesty of God, be punished with extreme, that is, with everlasting punishment both of body and soul.
- And the LORD passed before him and proclaimed, â€œThe LORD, the LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abounding in goodness and truth, keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, by no means clearing the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children and the childrenâ€™s children to the third and the fourth generation.â€ Ex. 34:6,7.
- You shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me. Ex. 20:5.
The boastful shall not stand in Your sight; You hate all workers of iniquity. You shall destroy those who speak falsehood; The LORD abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful man. Ps. 5:5,6.
Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness? And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever? And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said: â€œI will dwell in them And walk among them. I will be their God, And they shall be My people.â€ 2 Cor. 6:14-16 .
* "And the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever; and they have no rest day or night, who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name." Rev. 14:11 .