6. Did God create man thus, wicked and perverse?
No1, but God created man good, and after His own image2, that is, in righteousness and true holiness; that he might rightly know God his Creator, heartily love Him, and live with Him in eternal blessedness, to praise and glorify Him3.
- Then God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good. So the evening and the morning were the sixth day. Gen. 1:31 .
- Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth." So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. Gen. 1:26,27 .
- But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord. 2 Cor. 3:18 .
And have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him. Col. 3:10 .
And that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness. Eph. 4:24 .
7. From where, then, does this depraved nature of man come?
From the fall and disobedience of our first parents, Adam and Eve, in Paradise1, whereby our nature became so corrupt, that we are all conceived and born in sin2.
- Gen. 3 (the whole chapter).
Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned. Therefore, as through one manâ€™s offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one Manâ€™s righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life. For as by one manâ€™s disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Manâ€™s obedience many will be made righteous. Rom. 5:12,18 ,19.
- Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin my mother conceived me. Ps. 51:5.
* The LORD looks down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there are any who understand, who seek God. They have all turned aside, they have together become corrupt; there is none who does good, No, not one. Ps. 14:2,3.
8. But are we so depraved that we are completely incapable of any good and prone to all evil?
Yes1, unless we are born again by the Spirit of God2.
- That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. John 3:6 .
Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. Gen. 6:5 .
Who can bring a clean thing out of an unclean? No one! Job. 14:4 .
All we like sheep have gone astray; We have turned, every one, to his own way; And the LORD has laid on Him the iniquity of us all. Isa. 53:6 .
- Jesus answered, â€œMost assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God." John 3:5 .
* The imagination of manâ€™s heart is evil from his youth. Gen. 8:21 .
* Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God. 2 Cor. 3:5 .
* For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. Rom. 7:18 .
* The heart is deceitful above all things, And desperately wicked; Who can know it? Jer. 17:9 .